Watermelon is a refreshing and delicious summertime fruit. It has a high water content that helps to promote hydration. Research has also shown that it is an excellent source of several vitamins, such as vitamins A and C.
Additionally, watermelon is rich in several antioxidants, including lycopene. Studies have shown that lycopene helps to reduce the risk of some cancers and improve overall heart health. You may already be asking whether watermelon can knock you out of ketosis when on a keto diet?
While a ketogenic diet is an eating lifestyle that requires you to limit your carb consumption and increase your intake of healthy fats in its place, as a result, it requires strict monitoring and adherence to the diet protocol
Several fruits are considered not to be suitable for a keto diet. However, if taken according to proper ration, there are others that will not affect your stay in ketosis.
Here, we will be considering watermelon and whether it is capable of kicking you out of ketosis.
Health Benefits and Nutrition Facts Behind Watermelon
Watermelon is a large and sweet fruit that originated from southern Africa. This fruit relates to zucchini, cantaloupe, cucumber, and pumpkin. Even more, watermelon is quite refreshing and contains nutrients, water, and a few calories.
Additionally, it has several nutrients and health benefits. Some of the health benefits of watermelon include:
Lower Blood Pressure
Recent studies have shown that high blood pressure is one of the significant risk factors for premature death and chronic diseases. Watermelon is a fruit that is rich in citrulline. Citrulline gets converted in the body to arginine which produces aid nitric oxide and amino acids.
According to research, nitric oxide is a gas particle that stimulates the tiny muscles around your blood vessels to dilate and relax. This action leads to a decrease in blood pressure.
Even more, watermelon may reduce arterial stiffness and blood pressure in persons with high blood pressure.
Reduction in Insulin Resistance
Insulin is a hormone that helps in controlling blood sugar in your body. On the other hand, insulin resistance is the state where your cells become highly resistant to insulin and its effects on the body. As a result, it can cause increased blood sugar levels, leading to type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome.
Studies have also successfully shown that the consumption of watermelon leads to a reduction in insulin resistance.
Reduction in Muscle Pain After Exercise
One of the common side effects of exercise is muscle soreness. Research has shown that the juice from watermelon is active at reducing muscle pains from exercise.
Nutrition Facts of Watermelon
Like other fruits, watermelon has several nutritional benefits to the body. Research shows that a 100grams of watermelon contains the following:
Other key nutritional facts about watermelon include:
In terms of fiber content, watermelon is low in fiber as it only provides about 0.4 grams per 100 grams. But since it contains fructose, it is high in fermentable short-chain carbohydrates or FODMAPs.
Additionally, the consumption of large amounts of fructose causes digestive problems in people who cannot fully digest them.
The carbs in watermelon are generally simple sugars like fructose, sucrose, and glucose. Watermelon contains about 12 grams of carbohydrates per 152 grams.
Furthermore, watermelon has a glycemic index of between 72–80. The Glycemic index is the degree of how quickly drinks and foods cause blood sugar levels to rise after eating.
Although watermelon has a relatively high glycemic index, it is quite low in carbs per serving. As a result, the consumption of watermelon should not cause any significant change in your blood sugar level.
Minerals and Vitamins
As mentioned earlier, watermelon is one of the best sources of vitamin C and several other minerals and vitamins. Some of the vitamins present in watermelon include:
Vitamin C: Vitamin C is an antioxidant that is vital for immune function and skin health.
Potassium: This is a mineral that helps in improving your heart’s health and for controlling your blood pressure.
Copper: Copper is a mineral that is rich in plant foods and often deficient in the Western diet.
Vitamin B5: Vitamin B5 also refers to pantothenic acid.
Vitamin A: Watermelon also contains a nutrient called beta carotene, which your body converts into vitamin A.
Carb Content of Watermelon
Generally, most fruits have high carb contents. As a result, you can only consume such fruits in tiny amounts. Nevertheless, unlike other fruits, watermelon has been proven to contain about 11grams of net carb, which is considerably low.
Net carbs describe the amount of carbohydrate that your body absorbs in a specific ration of food. It is often obtained by subtracting the grams of fiber from the total grams of carbs.
Can Watermelon Kick You Out of Ketosis?
Since watermelon has a low carb content, it is safe to say it can fit into a ketogenic diet. However, whether or not watermelon will kick you out of ketosis will depend on the amount you are consuming and other foods you are eating during the day.
For instance, if you are on a 1000 calorie diet, your carb intake might be restricted to just about 12 grams daily. Thus, one serving of watermelon can take up almost half of your daily carb requirement.
It is necessary to always plan carefully before fitting in watermelon into your diet to avoid surpassing your daily carb allowance hence falling out of ketosis.
- Hubbell, Gerald (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 190 Pages - 12/11/2020 (Publication Date) - Independently published (Publisher)
- ☑️ SET OF FOUR MAGNETS WITH 56 TOTAL INGREDIENTS – Including a detailed breakdown of fats, net carbs and protein. All ingredients are classified into four categories: Meat & Nuts, Fruit & Veg, Dairy and Oils & Condiments. Each magnet is 4.5 x 3.5 inches with rounded corners. Making it easy to stick to your Keto diet.
- ☑️ SAVE YOU TIME – No need to research the fat, carbs and protein of every ingredient. Instead you can quickly locate your ingredient by the food group on your Keto Cheat Sheet.
- ☑️ STICK TO YOUR DIET – The Keto Cheat Sheet is a quick and easy reminder to stay on track with your diet by providing a great range of healthy and keto friendly ingredients.
- ☑️ PERFECT FOR FRIDGES – The high quality fridge magnet can be easily placed on any smooth iron surfaces such as fridges, pressure cookers, microwaves and more.
- ☑️ MONEY BACK GUARANTEE – Buy your product with absolute confidence, it is our aim to provide the best customer experience possible. If for any reason you are unhappy with your purchase, you are covered under our 60-day money back guarantee.
How to Use Watermelon On a Keto Diet?
There are several ways you can use to eat your watermelon on your ketogenic diet. If you do not want to follow the traditional method of slicing your watermelon, follow any of the methods below:
Can a Diabetic Person Eat Watermelon?
Watermelon is usually a summertime choice, even though you can eat it with each of your meals or at other times. Since we now know that watermelon can blend with the keto diet when taken in moderation, the question now is, can persons with diabetes eat watermelon?
The need to monitor your blood sugar level by watching what you eat can never be overemphasized if you have diabetes. Although watermelon does contain natural sugars, the quantity of watermelon you consume may affect your overall blood sugar level
Additionally, the moderate consumption of watermelon is capable of curbing your cravings for sweet things. It can also help to keep your feeling satiable for an extended period because watermelon contains lots of water content. That said, watermelon helps to keep you adequately hydrated too
Best Low-Carb Fruits to Consume on a Keto Diet
Even though a ketogenic diet requires you to restrict carb intake, it does not mean you must completely cut fruit out of your diet. As a matter of fact, with proper planning, there are several fruits that can fit into your keto diet.
If you are pondering on what kind of fruits are keto-friendly, you will find fruits that you can eat with your keto diet without having to fall out of ketosis.
Avocados are fruits that are rich in fiber, healthy fats, and low in both carb and calorie content. With less than 2 grams of carbs, this is one fruit you can always enjoying alongside your ketogenic diet.
Although it is a keto-friendly fruit, you must ensure you keep track of the amount you are consuming to avoid a backfire effect.
Tomatoes are rich in minerals and vitamins. Even though you do not include tomatoes in your fruit salad, it can be consumed with your keto diet. It is a keto-friendly fruit that is low in carbs and fat. More so, it also contains vital antioxidants such as lycopene, which helps in fighting heart disease.
Olive is a keto-friendly fruit that is low in carbs and fat. It is rich in sodium, which is an essential component in the keto diet.
Lemons are citrusy and sour fruits that are low in carbs and rich in vitamin C. Lemon water helps in promoting healthy digestion and contains antioxidants that help in fighting free radicals in your body.
Since lemons are keto-friendly, you can consume them with your diet without fear of getting out of ketosis.
If you are looking for fruit that is rich in healthy fats and also low in carbohydrates, then coconut is what you need. You can confidently include coconut to your ketogenic diet with any fears. We recommend you buy the whole fruit as packaged fruits often contain artificial sugars, which may harm your keto diet protocol.
Berries like raspberries, strawberries, and blackberries are low carb fruits that contain several nutrients. As a result, they are keto-friendly and can be eaten as a substitute for food when hungry.
Watermelon is a staple fruit that is low in carbs and rich in natural sugars. Watermelons have higher water content, which makes them helpful in keeping you hydrated. Also, they are an excellent choice for relieving your cravings when on a ketogenic diet.
However, since they contain natural sugars, it is vital to track your daily consumption so that it does not affect your keto diet protocol.
The star fruit is yet another keto-friendly fruit that you can combine with your keto diet. It is capable of satisfying your taste buds and cravings. Even more, it is low in calories and contains potassium and vitamin C.
Although rhubarb is not a common fruit, it is one fruit you can add to your ketogenic diet. Rhubarb can be eaten raw, puréed in a low-carb smoothie, or roasted. It is rich in potassium, calcium, and vitamins A and C. However, remember not to consume it with its leaves.
Cantaloupe is another keto-friendly fruit worth adding to your menu. It is a sweet and refreshing fruit that helps you stay satiated for more extended periods.
Peaches are a keto-friendly fruit that is popular for their juicy and fuzzy skin. Peaches are low in net carbs and rich in essential micronutrients, including vitamin A, vitamin C, niacin, and potassium.
- BHB + MCT EXOGENOUS KETONES FOR EVERYBODY: Real Ketones Prime D+ exogenous ketones drink fuels quick, sustained ketosis, which allows your body to use fat rather than glucose for its primary fuel. Our multi-patented formulation of BHB+MCT ketones helps your body produce its own naturally occurring ketones. Prime D+ will enhance brain function, improve sleep, and increase energy without the jitters or the crash, giving you natural energy your body prefers to perform your best.
- PRODUCE YOUR OWN KETONES NATURALLY WITH BHB+ MCT: Prime D+’s BHB+MCT patented formulation mimics the body’s natural ketogenic process with exogenous ketones that turn on your body’s own ability to use fat for energy production within an hour, helping to elevate and sustain ketone levels. All other ketone supplements are limited to delivering BHB ketones, which will indeed spike your ketone levels, but will not deliver consistent ketosis by helping your body make its own ketones.
- ALLOWS FOR FLEXIBLE KETO DIET: By providing your body ketones with our low-carb drink, you have more flexibility when eating carbs because PRIME D+’s BHB + MCT ketone combo bridges the gap to keep you in ketosis. While a few extra carbs in just a plain keto diet will throw you out of ketosis, PRIME makes keto dieting much easier, cheat day friendly, more carb flexible and worry free. All Real Ketones products should be used as a part of a well balanced ketogenic diet and exercise.
- BEST TASTING KETO SUPPLEMENT & QUALITY INGREDIENTS GUARANTEED: Prime D+ tastes great and is formulated with key nutritional ingredients not found in other ketone supplements. Our pure exogenous ketones combine 4 balanced electrolytes calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium with Prime D+ Energy blend and a proprietary Bio-Enzymatic blend to ensure the most balanced ketosis experience & performance potential. Prime D+ is allergen free, and is 100% non-GMO.
- FREE REAL KETONES APP INCLUDED WITH PURCHASE: Now you can get complete keto diet and lifestyle guidance with any Real Ketones purchase. Keto made easy with daily tips and guidance: Keto tips, grocery lists, recipes and more. One-on-one support: Always here to answer questions. Weight and progress tracking: Track your fitness journey. Food and activity planning: Stay on track with your diet and exercise program.
- ►►Exogenous Ketones (BetaHydroxybutyrate) + Amino Acids, Chromium Picolinate & Prebiotic Fiber.
- ►►Sustained energy for your workout, school work, or as an afternoon pick-me-up.
- ►►Refreshing Cherry-Limeade Flavor. Mixes easily in water.
- ►►Benefits of a Keto diet without the carb restriction or fasting.*
- ►►90-day Money Back Guarantee (^See details below).
Tips for Picking a Watermelon
Watermelon is a red and mouth-wateringly nutrient-dense fruit that is capable of serving as a low-calorie snack. Once a watermelon is ripe is provided, natural antioxidants, such as lycopene.
The best way to determine whether a watermelon is ripe is by checking if its flesh is red or tasting it. However, you will have to buy it first before confirming.
Choosing a juicy and sweet watermelon can be a bit difficult. As a result, we have made available for you a few tips to help you pick a delicious watermelon.
Generally, watermelons come in different shapes and sizes that differ from oval to round to elongated. Irrespective of the one you choose, ensure you go for those that are symmetrical in shape and firm. Also, avoid watermelons with dents, cuts, and irregular bumps.
Irregularities in the shape tend to mean that the watermelon was not adequately fertilized or contains varying amounts of water. Even more, dents or cuts may indicate the presence of fungus and insects.
When you turn a watermelon over, it is expected that you will find a yellow spot. That spot is known as ground or field spot, and it shows the particular point the watermelon rested before harvest.
If the yellow spot is large, it means the watermelon spent a lot of time ripening and should taste sweeter. Since watermelons do not become ripe after being harvested, ensure you pick one with a larger spot.
A ripe and sweet watermelon is expected to be heavy. The heavyweight indicates that it contains plenty of water hence making it juicier. Additionally, since fiber and water content determine the health of fruit, fiber-rich fruits are always heavy.
The tapping technique is yet another method of deterring the ripeness of fruits. To use this method, simply slap or tap the watermelon, and the sound you hear will determine its level of ripeness.
If the watermelon is ripe, it will make a deep sound similar to a tenor when you tap it. But if it makes a hollow sound, it is likely overripe.
The tail of a watermelon is the leftover stem that attached after the fruit has been harvested. A green stem shows that the fruit was harvested a bit early; hence, it will not be ripe. On the other hand, a dried stem indicates that the watermelon is ripe.
A watermelon's firmness refers to its skin or rind resistance. A ripe watermelon is expected to have a thick rind. More so, when you scratch the watermelon using your thumbnail, it should be hard enough not to cut through it.
How to Identify a Spoiled or Damaged Watermelon?
Since spoiled or damaged watermelons are not safe for consumption as they can cause a couple of issues like stomach pain.
If you want to discover how to identify a spoiled watermelon, check out for the following signs
Overall, ketosis refers to a natural metabolic state in which the body gets to a point where it lacks sufficient carbs to burn for energy. Similarly, a ketogenic diet is a low carb and high-fat diet that helps put you in ketosis.
Although a keto diet can put in ketosis, there are several foods and factors that kick you out of ketosis. While there are fruits that can kick you out of ketosis, some do not affect your state of ketosis.
Interestingly, watermelon is a fruit that is low in carbs and keto-friendly. However, it is important to plan your diet properly so that you do not consume more than your daily carb requirement
Frequently Asked Questions
Is watermelon OK on a ketogenic diet?
Watermelon is simply a summer fruit that helps is satisfying cravings while on a ketogenic diet. It is low in carbs and can be combined with a keto diet. Thanks to its high moisture content, it helps to keep you hydrated when on a ketogenic diet.
How much watermelon can you have on keto?
It is relatively difficult to give a specific amount of watermelon you can have while on a keto diet. This is because it will depend on each individual’s carb target and keto protocol. Even though watermelon is keto-friendly, it is advisable that you make a plan that will allow you to track your daily card intake. This will help you not to surpass your daily card requirement.
Is Watermelon Keto-Friendly?
Yes, watermelon is keto-friendly as it is a low-carb fruit. Even more, it can be combined with a ketogenic diet. But, ensure you stick to your daily carb allocation.
Does watermelon affect blood sugar?
Watermelon contains a glycemic index. The Glycemic index refers to a rapid rise in blood sugar after consuming a particular food—the higher your glycemic index, the quicker the increase in your blood sugar. Additionally, watermelon has a low glycemic load; hence your blood sugar does not make any significant difference after eating the fruit.
Is watermelon good for a low carb diet?
One of the characteristics of watermelon is that it is a fruit low in carbohydrates. As a result, it can comfortably blend into any keto diet.
Can you gain weight from overeating watermelon?
For every 100 grams of watermelon you consume, it contains about 30 calories. Since watermelon has high water content, you are likely to consume more hence an increased calorie intake. Although it is not so bad, excess consumption of watermelon might have some negative effects on your health
What fruits can you eat on a keto diet?
Several fruits are keto-friendly hence can be combined with a ketogenic diet. Examples of keto-friendly fruits include avocados, berries, watermelons, lemons, olives, tomatoes, coconut, Rhubarb, star fruit, and Cantaloupe, among others.