If you have just started Keto Diet or starting it, There is a high number of chances you will notice symptoms Keto Flu(a term coined by Keto diet followers),
Trust me, Keto Diet is pretty much safe but it has some repulsive side effects like Keto Flu. Which we are going to discuss in depth on this article.
Let’s understand, what is Keto Flu, what is the root cause of Keto Flu and how you can leverage the 7 ways to avoid Keto Flu completely. Stay tuned.
What is Keto Flu?
Keto Flu is a side effect of the Keto Diet (low carbs and high-fat diet).
"Keto-Flu" doesn't mean sneezing and a runny nose ?. If you have this symptoms, the doctor's office is where you should be heading right now ?.
In Simple terms, Keto Flu is set symptoms experienced by a person when they are in a Keto diet.
Keto Flu mainly occurs at the end of the 3rd or 4th day on Keto diet, When your body is in Ketosis State or increase in ketone levels . (Ketosis is a natural body state that occurs when it starts burning fat instead of carbohydrates (glucose) for energy).
What do you expect ?, Our body’s main fuel source is changed to fat now from glucose so it behaves little strange as keto flu that's it.
Please Note - It’s normal for keto newcomers to encounter the keto flu when they first reduce their carb intake or carb withdrawal state.
See how people react to Ket flu on reddit.
Let me share some common symptoms of the keto flu.
Keto Flu Symptoms.
As I have discussed earlier, Keto Flu mainly occurs at the end of 3rd or 4th day on Keto diet, When your body is in Ketosis State.
To be honest, I never felt signs of Keto flu while I was on Keto diet still as per healthline article, Some people don’t experience any Keto flu symptoms at all but for some people, it is very common.
I have listed down 9 common symptoms of Keto flu below.
Symptoms 1 - Keto Flu headache or a common headache.
The little headache starts around 2nd-3rd day or early with continuous pain on keto flu.
Symptoms 2 - Fatigue.
You feel fatigued all the time and your tendency to do activities decreases.
Symptoms 3 - Sugar Cravings.
You start to have a desire to eat carbs, avoid it any cost else, your body will go back to glucose as main source of fuel(you will lose the progress).
Symptoms 4 - Lack of concentration.
This happened with me also initially, Your mind can’t focus on a single thing for initially due to metabolism changes.
Symptoms 5 - Feeling sleepy all the time or No sleep.
Either the case, some people feel very lazy and sleepy where some people face no sleep condition initially in Keto flu.
Symptoms 6 - Keto flu diarrhea or Keto Diarrhea(we call it).
You have diarrhea if you have loose stools three or more times in one day.
Symptoms 7 - Constipation.
Sometimes, On Keto flu, people feel constipation where the stool is often hard and dry. It is kind of Keto flu symptoms.
Symptoms 8 - Sore throat due to Keto flu.
Few people noticed that they feel there throat sore and heavy.
- HIGHEST POTASSIUM, ZINC & MAGNESIUM Electrolyte Concentrate available // Replaces electrolytes lost due to sweat, exercise or any other dehydrating situation. Perfectly formulated for a Keto Diet.
- REHYDRATING // Hi-Lyte's support mechanisms include: Reduces heat stress, cramping, nausea and fatigue. Supports energy, muscle recovery & gain, and endurance. Antioxidants support and healthy immune system function*.
- ALL-NATURAL, IONIC SEA MINERALS & NO MALTODEXTRIN // Ionic minerals are smaller than cell pathways making them easier to be absorbed. Hi-Lyte was designed for the demanding needs of endurance athletes such as Cyclists, Runners, Swimmers, Triathletes, Cross-fitters and even Yogis.
- TASTE // Please note that Hi-Lyte is NOT focused on taste and adds a salty, mineral taste to water. If you're sensitive to mineral flavor, add a squeeze of lemon or add to juice or smoothie.
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE // We are so confident that Hi-Lyte will meet your highest expectations that we are offering Hi-Lyte at zero risk to you.
- WEIGHT LOSS SUPPLEMENT
- COMPLETE NUTRITION | Complete mineral and trace minerals drink with 1,000mg of potassium. Delicious Raspberry Lemon taste.
- NO ADDITIVES | There is NO sugar, calories, maltodextrin, GMO's, gluten, or artificial ingredients!
- PEAK HYDRATION & CELLULAR ENERGY | Electrolytes are needed for cellular energy, muscle and nerve function. This drink will help you replenish and rejuvenate your cellular energy so you stay hydrated.
- POTASSIUM RICH | This complete and balanced, soluble electrolyte powder gives you 1000 mg of potassium per serving size. No electrolyte powder on the market has more! Our bodies need 4,700 mg of potassium citrate each day and many people only get a fraction of this in their diet. You’ll also get the other key electrolytes in perfect balance.
- ✔ HYDRATE | SUSTAIN | RECOVER ‣ Zeal Naturals Keto Electrolyte Supplement is the most advanced electrolyte solution you will ever find. Packed with only all-natural ingredients like Real Salt, B-Vitamins, Magnesium, Zinc & Potassium chloride powder, it makes for a powerful hydration multiplier & muscle recovery support. It’s everything you need for a keto electrolytes keto supplement.*
- ✔ HIGHEST QUALITY INGREDIENTS IN ANY ELECTROLYTE SUPPLEMENT ‣ Most salt tablets and hydration powder pills are made with CHEAP sodium citrate and LOW-QUALITY magnesium oxide which can prevent your muscles from hydrating properly. Zeal Naturals all natural electrolyte powder tablets are made with Real Salt sourced from Utah, enhanced with B-Vitamins, and premium magnesium malate which is recognized as the highest quality magnesium for muscle cramps, leg cramps, and restless legs.*
- ✅MADE IN USA ✅KETO APPROVED ✅GLUTEN FREE ✅GMO FREE ‣ Each bottle of electrolyte powder tablets is made right here in the USA in facility that follows all GMP standards. Rest assured you are getting the highest quality electrolytes keto friendly and potassium powder pills on the market.*
- ✔ AS EFFECTIVE AS ELECTROLYTE WATER, KETO DRINK, & ELECTROLYTE DROPS ‣ These keto salt amino energy electrolytes capsules are broken down into a powerful electrolyte concentrate for maximum results. If you're looking for a liquid magnesium supplement, electrolyte powder packets, or oral rehydration packets, these make for highly-effective salt sticks capsules and magnesium liquid potassium pills.*
- TRACE MINERALS ELECTROLYTE & SUGAR FREE ELECTROLYTE POWDER ‣ Makes for an effective salt stick, calcium magnesium potassium, as well as an anti hangover prevention morning recovery.*
- 💙 BALANCE & OPTIMIZE YOUR KETO DIET - Supports your vitamin and mineral needs specific to the keto diet.
- 💙 STABILIZE ENERGY - Helps to balance and maintain your energy level.
- 💙 KETO BLEND - Formulated with a specialized Keto Blend (MCT, magnesium, potassium & collagen) to target diet-specific pitfalls.
- 💙 MADE IN THE USA, and bottled in a GMP certified facility, Vitamin Bounty products are a worry-free choice.
- Clean hydration, done right and sweetened naturally with organic stevia leaf extract
- Clean ingredients, zero calories, zero sugar, plant-based colors & flavors
- Made with all 6 electrolytes + support minerals
- Gluten free, caffeine free, soy/dairy free, keto friendly, paleo-friendly, Non-GMO, plant-based
- Great for rehydrating and replacing electrolytes lost during activity and preventing muscle cramps and headaches from travel and hangovers
Symptoms 9 - Joint Pain & Runny Nose.
Some common flu-like keto flu keto flu joint pain & keto flu runny nose is noticed.
There are some Severe symptoms of Keto Flue noticed.
Symptoms 10 - Dizziness or Unsteadiness :
When your body is in kestosis, You develop a symptoms like feeling faint, woozy, weak or unsteady these are called as Dizziness.
This happens due to the lack of sodium in the body.
And sometimes it is due to low blood sugar too. Drink plenty of water to avoid it.
Symptoms 11 - High (or low) blood pressure
In most of cases, high or low blood pressure may be a symptom of keto flu.
Symptoms 12 - Keto Flu fever
Some people noticed that when they started doing the Keto diet, they encountered keto flu fever, which is the same as common fever.
Don’t worry all these can avoid in the below section where we discuss keto flu remedies.
What causes Keto Flu?
Your body is in Ketosis or Keto-Adapted State.
As we know that we start Keto diet, Our body comes in Ketosis, Ketosis usually kicks in after 3-4 days of going through periods of intermittent fasting or restricting your carbohydrate intake.
You can experience certain physical signs and symptoms of keto flu.
Key TakeAway- Accommodating to ketosis is the main cause of the Keto Flu.
Dehydration & Body in low Electrolytes.
Since we are on High Fat and low carbs diet, Our body starts losing both fluids and important electrolytes from carbs, we are taking low carbs means low water stored and this clearly causes dehydration and electrolyte imbalances.
Key Takeaway - Drinks lots of water around 2.7 liters of water per day
Lack of Micro-nutrients.
During Keto diet, we mainly eat food and miss the common nutrient which we are important for our body.
This causes nutrient deficiencies. Eating enough keto friendly veggies like broccoli, cucumber, cabbage, olives, spinach, swiss chard, eggplant can reduce the keto flu effect.
Key Takeaway - Take care of Micro-nutrients.
Punishment by body when you switched to Low carbs diet.
Carbs contain glycogen which stores water, since we are having low carbs hence our body now have less water stored and this leads to dehydration and certain issues related to Keto flu.
Key Takeaway - Low carbs intake lead to Keto flu.
How Long Does Keto Flu Last?
Keto Flu mainly occurs at the end of the 3rd or 4th day on Keto diet.
Keto Flu can last over a couple of weeks, If it is more than 3 week.
I would suggest you do consult with a doctor, probably you are missing some essential nutrients extra that causing Keto flu to this long.
9 Steps on how to Get Rid of the Keto Flu.
No. 1 - Stay hydrated.
No. 2 - Increase in fat intake
No. 3 - Take broth.
No. 4 - Increase Salt Intake.
No. 5 - Main Micro-nutrients.
No. 6 - Do Yoga.
No. 7 - Calculate carbs intake.
No. 8 - Stay fit with little exercise.
No. 9 - Follow Strict Keto diet Plan.
How to Overcome the Keto Flu?
Dr. Eric Berg DC, beautifully explained how to prevent or overcome above mentioned Keto Flu symptoms. You can watch 2 minutes short video below.
7 Top keto flu Remedies.
1. Keto Lemonade for Ending Keto & Keto Aloe Lemonade.
2. Take Rest & Sleep.
Take enough sleep and you will never get Keto Flu, Trust me.
3. Eat More Fat or Take MCT Oils.
In Keto diet, if you want to eat high-fat, MCT oils are like best you can get.
But if you are looking for cheaper alternate on a budget diet try coconut Oil they have the pretty much same effect
4. Take enough Electrolytes.
These are like essential electrolytes blended for optimal hydration to stay away and get better from Keto Flu.
5. Stay Fit with Yoga & Meditation.
Yoga involves a certain type of diet, meditation routine, breathing techniques (pranayamas) and body postures and practices to make your body and mind healthy.
My friend has excellently explained the benefits of Yoga with Keto here
6. Take enough Electrolytes.
These are like essential electrolytes blended for optimal hydration to stay away and get better from Keto Flu.
7. Avoid artificial sweeteners try alternate Keto Collagen.
Avoid the artificial sweeteners and Try Keto Collagen as an alternate.
During the Keto diet, Keto flu can be a speed bump on your road to weight loss, but you easily avoid it completely if you follow all the above methods and remedies exactly.
Remember, Keto flu should not stop you to become a better version of yourself.