If you have just started Keto Diet or starting it, There is a high number of chances you will notice symptoms Keto Flu(a term coined by Keto diet followers),
Trust me, Keto Diet is pretty much safe but it has some repulsive side effects like Keto Flu. Which we are going to discuss in depth on this article.
Let’s understand, what is Keto Flu, what is the root cause of Keto Flu and how you can leverage the 7 ways to avoid Keto Flu completely. Stay tuned.
What is Keto Flu?
Keto Flu is a side effect of the Keto Diet (low carbs and high-fat diet).
"Keto-Flu" doesn't mean sneezing and a runny nose ?. If you have this symptoms, the doctor's office is where you should be heading right now ?.
In Simple terms, Keto Flu is set symptoms experienced by a person when they are in a Keto diet.
Keto Flu mainly occurs at the end of the 3rd or 4th day on Keto diet, When your body is in Ketosis State or increase in ketone levels . (Ketosis is a natural body state that occurs when it starts burning fat instead of carbohydrates (glucose) for energy).
What do you expect ?, Our body’s main fuel source is changed to fat now from glucose so it behaves little strange as keto flu that's it.
Please Note - It’s normal for keto newcomers to encounter the keto flu when they first reduce their carb intake or carb withdrawal state.
See how people react to Ket flu on reddit.
Let me share some common symptoms of the keto flu.
Keto Flu Symptoms.
As I have discussed earlier, Keto Flu mainly occurs at the end of 3rd or 4th day on Keto diet, When your body is in Ketosis State.
To be honest, I never felt signs of Keto flu while I was on Keto diet still as per healthline article, Some people don’t experience any Keto flu symptoms at all but for some people, it is very common.
I have listed down 9 common symptoms of Keto flu below.
Symptoms 1 - Keto Flu headache or a common headache.
The little headache starts around 2nd-3rd day or early with continuous pain on keto flu.
Symptoms 2 - Fatigue.
You feel fatigued all the time and your tendency to do activities decreases.
Symptoms 3 - Sugar Cravings.
You start to have a desire to eat carbs, avoid it any cost else, your body will go back to glucose as main source of fuel(you will lose the progress).
Symptoms 4 - Lack of concentration.
This happened with me also initially, Your mind can’t focus on a single thing for initially due to metabolism changes.
Symptoms 5 - Feeling sleepy all the time or No sleep.
Either the case, some people feel very lazy and sleepy where some people face no sleep condition initially in Keto flu.
Symptoms 6 - Keto flu diarrhea or Keto Diarrhea(we call it).
You have diarrhea if you have loose stools three or more times in one day.
Symptoms 7 - Constipation.
Sometimes, On Keto flu, people feel constipation where the stool is often hard and dry. It is kind of Keto flu symptoms.
Symptoms 8 - Sore throat due to Keto flu.
Few people noticed that they feel there throat sore and heavy.
- WEIGHT LOSS SUPPLEMENT
- COMPLETE NUTRITION | Complete mineral and trace minerals drink with 1,000mg of potassium. Delicious Raspberry Lemon taste.
- NO ADDITIVES | There is NO sugar, calories, maltodextrin, GMO's, gluten, or artificial ingredients!
- PEAK HYDRATION & CELLULAR ENERGY | Electrolytes are needed for cellular energy, muscle and nerve function. This drink will help you replenish and rejuvenate your cellular energy so you stay hydrated.
- POTASSIUM RICH | This complete and balanced, soluble electrolyte powder gives you 1000 mg of potassium per serving size. No electrolyte powder on the market has more! Our bodies need 4,700 mg of potassium citrate each day and many people only get a fraction of this in their diet. You’ll also get the other key electrolytes in perfect balance.
- Designed For Low-Carb and Keto Diet - Perfect Keto Electrolyte supplement tablets are specifically formulated for low carb diets. Contains 4 electrolytes essential for keto, this plant based and natural formula provides much needed minerals to support rehydration, replenishment and electrolyte balance.
- Increased Energy and Performance - Keto-Friendly Electrolytes tablet replenish and balance essential minerals lost through sweating and diuretic effects of low carb and ketogenic lifestyles. These electro tabs are the best pill to support healthy energy levels and mood.
- Supports Recovery And Better Sleep - Proper electrolyte balance facilitates deep sleep, with no more cramps, restless leg syndrome or insomnia - so you get a better night of rest and restoration to increase energy levels and overall well being. Great for athletes who need fast recovery!
- 100% Clean And Natural - Nothing artificial and only clean ingredients. No fillers, chemicals or preservatives. Tasteless, odorless, gluten-free, vegan, paleo-friendly, caffeine free, low-carb- just high dose electrolytes from quality minerals like sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium for ultimate hydration and recovery.
- Convenient And Easy To Swallow - Easy to swallow and convenient capsules for custom dosing. Take it with you on the go for a bust of energy to start your day in the morning, after a workout for rapid muscle and joint support, when you are starting keto to combat the keto flu and a boost of relaxing magnesium and vitamin before bed.
- Easy to transport stick packs for the on the go lifestyle! Try all flavors in one package!
- Stop keto flu and have great cramp defense for leg cramps with Keto Vitals Electrolyte Powder!
- Natural hydration booster! Energy replenisher! Improve sleep and freedom from muscle cramps!
- Formula has Potassium, Magnesium Citrate, Sodium (Salts) and Calcium to bring your body into balance!
- These keto friendly electrolytes will let you enjoy the natural calm of magnesium and thrive!
- Pure Electrolytes: Flyby Fuel is anl electrolyte concentrate that turns any liquid into a hydration sports drink enriched with essential electrolytes and 72 trace minerals extracted from sea water. Our ingredients are sourced from the Great Salt Lake in Utah.
- Nothing Artificial: All the benefits of rapidly hydrating electrolytes without the unnecessary additives, sweeteners, calories or coloring (most electrolyte powders, capsules or pills will usually contain at least one artificial ingredient).
- Superior Hydration: The electrolytes and trace minerals in this formula are ionic, which is a more easily absorbed form allowing for accelerated hydration.
- Athletes & Low Carb: Our electrolyte supplement is great for a low-carb diets or keto flu by helping support electrolyte balance. Additional benefits: Reduces heat stress, cramping, nausea and fatigue while supporting energy levels, muscle recovery & endurance.
- KETO BOOST: Our keto electrolyte powder drink mix is the perfect keto supplement for weight loss support. Add an energy supplement to your keto program for the best results
- PINA COLADA KETO DRINK: More refreshing than electrolyte tablets, add a scoop of keto electrolyte powder to your water for a fruity pineapple and coconut keto drink – ideal keto pre-workout or post workout supplement
- PREVENT KETO FLU: A keto diet can sometimes lead to an electrolyte imbalance or ‘Keto Flu’; prevent the headaches and dizziness by adding a keto friendly electrolyte drink to your daily routine
- 100% CLEAN INGREDIENTS: Our keto supplement contains no carbs, sugar, gluten, dairy or soy, and the energy supplement is free from MSG, maltodextrin and artificial flavors and colors
- MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: If for any reason you don’t love Completely Keto Electrolyte Formula electrolyte powder drink mix, just let us know – our friendly team will arrange to refund your money
Symptoms 9 - Joint Pain & Runny Nose.
Some common flu-like keto flu keto flu joint pain & keto flu runny nose is noticed.
There are some Severe symptoms of Keto Flue noticed.
Symptoms 10 - Dizziness or Unsteadiness :
When your body is in kestosis, You develop a symptoms like feeling faint, woozy, weak or unsteady these are called as Dizziness.
This happens due to the lack of sodium in the body.
And sometimes it is due to low blood sugar too. Drink plenty of water to avoid it.
Symptoms 11 - High (or low) blood pressure
In most of cases, high or low blood pressure may be a symptom of keto flu.
Symptoms 12 - Keto Flu fever
Some people noticed that when they started doing the Keto diet, they encountered keto flu fever, which is the same as common fever.
Don’t worry all these can avoid in the below section where we discuss keto flu remedies.
What causes Keto Flu?
Your body is in Ketosis or Keto-Adapted State.
As we know that we start Keto diet, Our body comes in Ketosis, Ketosis usually kicks in after 3-4 days of going through periods of intermittent fasting or restricting your carbohydrate intake.
You can experience certain physical signs and symptoms of keto flu.
Key TakeAway- Accommodating to ketosis is the main cause of the Keto Flu.
Dehydration & Body in low Electrolytes.
Since we are on High Fat and low carbs diet, Our body starts losing both fluids and important electrolytes from carbs, we are taking low carbs means low water stored and this clearly causes dehydration and electrolyte imbalances.
Key Takeaway - Drinks lots of water around 2.7 liters of water per day
Lack of Micro-nutrients.
During Keto diet, we mainly eat food and miss the common nutrient which we are important for our body.
This causes nutrient deficiencies. Eating enough keto friendly veggies like broccoli, cucumber, cabbage, olives, spinach, swiss chard, eggplant can reduce the keto flu effect.
Key Takeaway - Take care of Micro-nutrients.
Punishment by body when you switched to Low carbs diet.
Carbs contain glycogen which stores water, since we are having low carbs hence our body now have less water stored and this leads to dehydration and certain issues related to Keto flu.
Key Takeaway - Low carbs intake lead to Keto flu.
How Long Does Keto Flu Last?
Keto Flu mainly occurs at the end of the 3rd or 4th day on Keto diet.
Keto Flu can last over a couple of weeks, If it is more than 3 week.
I would suggest you do consult with a doctor, probably you are missing some essential nutrients extra that causing Keto flu to this long.
9 Steps on how to Get Rid of the Keto Flu.
No. 1 - Stay hydrated.
No. 2 - Increase in fat intake
No. 3 - Take broth.
No. 4 - Increase Salt Intake.
No. 5 - Main Micro-nutrients.
No. 6 - Do Yoga.
No. 7 - Calculate carbs intake.
No. 8 - Stay fit with little exercise.
No. 9 - Follow Strict Keto diet Plan.
How to Overcome the Keto Flu?
Dr. Eric Berg DC, beautifully explained how to prevent or overcome above mentioned Keto Flu symptoms. You can watch 2 minutes short video below.
7 Top keto flu Remedies.
1. Keto Lemonade for Ending Keto & Keto Aloe Lemonade.
2. Take Rest & Sleep.
Take enough sleep and you will never get Keto Flu, Trust me.
3. Eat More Fat or Take MCT Oils.
In Keto diet, if you want to eat high-fat, MCT oils are like best you can get.
But if you are looking for cheaper alternate on a budget diet try coconut Oil they have the pretty much same effect
4. Take enough Electrolytes.
These are like essential electrolytes blended for optimal hydration to stay away and get better from Keto Flu.
5. Stay Fit with Yoga & Meditation.
Yoga involves a certain type of diet, meditation routine, breathing techniques (pranayamas) and body postures and practices to make your body and mind healthy.
My friend has excellently explained the benefits of Yoga with Keto here
6. Take enough Electrolytes.
These are like essential electrolytes blended for optimal hydration to stay away and get better from Keto Flu.
7. Avoid artificial sweeteners try alternate Keto Collagen.
Avoid the artificial sweeteners and Try Keto Collagen as an alternate.
During the Keto diet, Keto flu can be a speed bump on your road to weight loss, but you easily avoid it completely if you follow all the above methods and remedies exactly.
Remember, Keto flu should not stop you to become a better version of yourself.